Singapore summary

My final stop of my vacation was Singapore. I thought Kaohsiung (Taiwan) was humid but Singapore was something else.   My t-shirt would be soaked within minutes of walking outside.  But my sweaty t-shirt got me lots of room on the MRT.  One of my goals of this visit was to try the interesting hawker food.  This black pepper crab was pretty good.  We got plastic gloves which helped keep my hands clean.


I got this noodle soup from Chinatown for $4 CDN.  It contained an egg, some meatballs, a couple of strands of veggies and home made noodles.  The stock was a bit thin though.

J and I also ate at 8 Cafe & Bar.  I had the onion soup, chicken wings (not pictured here), meatballs, dessert and a glass of wine.  The owner, Bill Ho (you can find his picture in his restaurant’s instagram) came over and chatted with us for some time.  The food and service was pretty good.  I took a picture if Bill and J.  For the rest of the evening, J just kept staring at the picture and forgot that I existed.

The area around the Marina Bay Sands was quite interesting. I wish I had a lotus pond like this in my condo.  It was gorgeous.img_0358The water and light show at night was interesting.  I had no idea what to expect and I kept wanting to take pictures of the show instead of enjoying it.  You can see the Fullerton Hotel in the background and if you look closely enough, you can also see the Merlion.


The view of where we were for the light and water show from the other side of the water.


We walked around Chinatown one day to check out a temple.  It was a nice area for people watching.



The next 2 pictures are from the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum.  It’s a stunning temple and they have an orchid garden at the rooftop.



Finally, my visit to Singapore was also to meet up with 3 Xangans – Nick, who lives in Singapore, Gene who flew in from Manila and Rudy who flew in from Indonesia.  We were suppose to meet up for dinner at Din Tai Fung but I came down with a case of stomach flu the previous night.  I took some immodium but that didn’t help.  The morning of our meetup (Saturday), I went to get medical help.  The hotel recommended a clinic and Nick confirmed it was reputable.

When it became apparent that I couldn’t make it to dinner, the gang came by the hotel and we chatted for about an hour.  I felt bad especially for Gene and Rudy who flew in to meet me.  But I was glad to meet with all of them even briefly and got a chance to know them a bit better.  I had no idea what they thought I would be like but none of them ran away when I greeted them.  Thank you Nick, Gene and Rudy – it was really nice to meet with you and I hope we can do it again.

Here’s a picture of all of us in my hotel room.  In the weeks leading up to the meet up, we would joke that I would be wearing a paper bag to protect my anonymity.  From left to right, Gene, Nick, yours truly and Rudy.  I had no idea Nick actually got us paper bags.

img_0792I made it back home without further incident.  I took the last of the antibiotics and some more tummy pills at a layover in Taipei.  It took a few more days before my digestive system recovered.


20 thoughts on “Singapore summary

  1. I am so sorry you got the curse in Singapore Matt. That’s just too bad. But I am glad that you met up with Rudy and Gene and Rudy. Hi Rudy!! It is so good to put a face to someone I have known for so long through my posts.
    Matt, I hope you are feeling better. Oh I remember the humidity in Singapore! And the heat! Being right on the Equator doesn’t help either. Our visit to the famous Orchid Garden was such a fiasco, in my opinion. I was dying to see it, and the kids wanted nothing to do with it. So I went along anyway, and I thought I was going to have to return home in a box. It was TAHT humid and That hot!

  2. OH. so it was 8 cafe & bar that you and J went to. i been there before, which i learned about from instagram as well. and i have to agree, the owner is dreamy 🙂

  3. Hahah Matt, love the paperbag disguise. Great pix as always. And I’m in exhaustion mode too, never thought jetlag was real, but I’ve been sleeping on and off, waking at 3 AM, and then getting up at 5AM when I couldn’t fall to sleep again. It’s getting better I think. I actually awoke at 5:30 this morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s